TheLivingTreasure Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > All General Discussions > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

we are singh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote about sikhism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: we are singh?
    Posted: 08August2009 at 4:11am
"Singh" which is name given by Guru Gobind Singh ji.
Why singh ,why not another one? Guru sahib gives us ROOP of lion. but before we share "singh " word with our name, their is some rehet mariyadaz.
but i saw lot of people, who is not in rehet mariyada but share "singh" with his name very proudly.
is this right??
and one thing more guru sahib ji also says
"mainu sikh pyara nahi ,sikh ton pehelan rehet pyari"
Pure Soul View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08August2009 at 11:35am
Smile Ssa Gurpreet Ji and welcome at our Living Treasure forum, the perfect place to find some peace of mind.
Thank u for posting ji, we'll do our best to help u and find answers for ur query.

Ji, as u know, Singh means Lion, lions r king of the jungle. They r brave when they fight for justice. Sikh warriors were brave fighters too and were compared to lions, even among their enemies. Thats why Guruji Gobind Singh gave this title to all Sikh men on Baisakhi day. Ji, i learned that Rehat Mariyada is code of conduct for all Sikh people... The name Singh is given to all male Sikhs, whether they took Amrit or not, the ones who took Amrit... like in the code of conduct subscribed add Khalsa to their name... it will b .... Singh Khalsa, they joined the Khalsa path. On the other hand are the non-Amrit Sikhs, they cant add Khalsa coz they didnt take Amrit (yet).

I ask all the members to correct me where im wrong, im a learner and im aware that i make mistakes. Im walking on eggshels, im careful with my words. So please, if what i write is wrong, correct me... thank u.  

Keep smiling...
Pure Soul View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08August2009 at 11:40am
Keeping the surname Singh signified getting rid of caste, because one's last name would identify their caste. By joining the single brotherhood of having a surname of 'Singh,' the caste was gotten rid of in Sikh families. I found this online, maybe its not relevant, though i added it...

Rab Rakha...Smile

about sikhism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote about sikhism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09August2009 at 5:47am
"The name Singh is given to all male Sikhs, whether they took Amrit or not"

selina ji i thing u forget that guru sahib also say that time

"mainu sikh pyara nahi, sikh ton pehelan rehet pyari"

so how u say that whether they took Amrit or not and ya one thing more, i think u remember before Guru Gobind singh ji, no one can share singh with his name even 9 Guru's and lot of Maha Purush. only Guru Gobind singh ji share singh coz they took amrit from 5 pyara's and convert his name Guru Gobind Rai to Guru Gobind singh.
Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09August2009 at 6:33am
Gurfateh Gurpreet Singh ji and welcome to the Living Treasure discussion forum Family....I think selina ji rightly answered that why we r called singh! Can i ask you will it solve any purpose? if u get answer to this question?

My dear friend here we at this forum try to do self analysis based on gurbani and discuss things which elevates us. Coz baani says:- Mann tun jyot saroop hai, aapna mool pachaan...

SO living treasure is a workshop were we try to learn self elevation.
I hope u will enjoy ur stay at the forum and will discuss things which can lead to self elevation.

Regards
�.���`�."Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it"�.���`�.�
Request- This is Everyone's forum, so please participate in it by posting...
urvinder singh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urvinder singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09August2009 at 9:00am

Nice Sharing all of you.one more thing is added that in 1699 A.D.Guru Gobind Singh Ji Wants Five Heads and Starts Khalsa Panth.we all Know about that these Five Heads are of Different Castes But after Taking Khande Ki Paahul(Amrit) Guru Gobind singh Ji Gives To all Five a Single Name and That is Called "Singhs". in the time of Mughals Several Muslim Emperors Caught Hindu Girls and Sailed it in the Market in Ghazini in Afghanistan. Few Peoples see What The Muslims are Doing They Take Weapons and Attacked on it(Muslim emperors) and Help Hindu Girls. That is Why We Call These Peoples are "Singhs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote about sikhism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10August2009 at 3:12am
urvinder singh ji u mean we protect that girls that time thats y  people call us singh hmm, u mean those people are given us this word "singh" , not Guru Gobind singh ji???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote about sikhism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10August2009 at 3:26am
and jujhar ji selina did not give perfectly answered of that question even i wanna knw if i am any where i am worng then plz  tell me but give answere properly.
and i knw this discussion forum based on gurbani so can we not discuss on these type of topics??
can we can't share or clear our confusions?
can we can't ask questions related to sikhism???
Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10August2009 at 5:05am
Yes you can my dear friend. You took it wrong way. I shared the idea of what I have learned from bani. You may ask questions which can help u to get any kind of elevation. You can clear your doubts too. I m sorry you took it other way i didnt mean that you cant ask questions related to sikhism.
�.���`�."Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it"�.���`�.�
Pure Soul View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10August2009 at 5:34am

Smile Gurpreet ji, i dont know exact answer either as im a learner too... I searched online for the right answer, but couldnt find anything more then i already replied, i hope u can help us out ji...

Be in Chardi Kala and Keep smiling...Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote about sikhism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11August2009 at 3:23am
hanji dear jaruri dasna i ll wait for ur reply je kuj pta lagge te and i am doing same work like u guys on orkut
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Profile.aspx?rl=fpp&uid=5029123946174834663

its my orkut profile link and name of profile "About sikhism ask me any thing" so if u wanna knw any thing about related to sikhi then plzz ask me i ll try to give answere as soon as

and "singh" word only for those males who took amrit and try to be a pure sikh (singh) but today time u knw every one share "singh" word wid their names whether they are pure sikh of hair cut. (assi sare kalyuggi jeev haan) waheguru sab nu samratha bakshe

if i am some where worng then plzz tell me where i am?
gustakhi maaf.....
Pure Soul View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11August2009 at 3:58am
Smile Ji, from ur point of view, u r right... as far as i know, Singh is added to any male born into a Sikh family, the name Khalsa will b added after one takes Amrit.
I found this article online (an article everyone knows about but still it suits in this context), u inspired  me do some research to clear our doubts...

The first Amrit Ceremony took place in India in 1699 when Guru Gobind Singh asked a gathering of Sikhs who was prepared to die for God. At first there was a hesitation then one man stepped forward...he was taken into the tent, Guru Gobind Singh reappeared on his own with blood dripping from his sword. He asked again, and again, again and again. He took the fifth man into the tent and then reappeared with all five men, alive, well and dressed like him. These five men became known as Panj Pyares or Beloved Five. They were initiated into the "Khalsa" or community of Sikhs by receiving amrit...a mixture of sugar and water. Sikh men were then given the added name "Singh" meaning "lion" and ladies received the extra name "Kaur" meaning "princess".

If u read this article, what u say is true, but then, when can Sikh people add Khalsa to their name? I know its given after taken Amrit... can u please rectify?

Thanks in advance...

Fateh ji...Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote about sikhism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11August2009 at 4:17am
ur article is perfectly true ,i respect ur research dear and sikh people also share "khalsa" wid their name but definition of singh is the only way to reach the khalsa.
khalsa means khalas
khalas means pure
pure means singh  (with rehet mariyada with full of saroop)
and singh means sikh.
so dear kithe na kithe u will find khalsa in singh. and ur article meaning is same as like my thinking ji. ur meaning and my meaning almost same dear.

gur fateh jio...

Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11August2009 at 5:09am
Glad u got ur answer sir!
Khoji View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14August2009 at 2:33am
Thank you Selina ji for your wonderful research and your hard effort are  really appreciated. 
love and hugs

Life is short, energy limited, with this limited energy we have to find the unlimited; with this short life we have to find the eternal. Don?t waste it with unimportant matters

Khoji

jasleen_kaur_80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasleen_kaur_80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29August2009 at 12:21am
ssa ji,

(Singh Punjabi: ਸਿੰਘ ,Hindi: सिंह singh , Gujarati: સિંહ sinh) is derived from the Sanskrit word Siṃha meaning "lion"[1]

that's an extract from wikipedia (Lion = Singh)

Lion is a symbol of power, the most powerful creature in the jungle, which is scared of no one, n lives life with certain facts, it's natural n that's the look we sikhs have, we are thus Singhs = Lions ...

on the contrary in the city where i stay 95% of sikh men, have their beards stick with glue = they are hiding their beards from others, which is part of their identity to show to others, so that they look like Lions, with beard stuck with gel, are they anyhow looking like Lions ?
Karan Singh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karan Singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20May2010 at 7:00am
Singh and Kaur. Singh means lion, lion is the king in the jungle. kaur means princess. guru jee gave us the name to end all jaat paat (class) . he said everyone is a king and princess

thats what in my knowledg
Ur Frnd - Jaspreet View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ur Frnd - Jaspreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20May2010 at 7:06am
I also agree with you Karan ji
Khoji View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18June2011 at 3:12am
ClapThumbs%20Up
Life is short, energy limited, with this limited energy we have to find the unlimited; with this short life we have to find the eternal. Don?t waste it with unimportant matters

Khoji

sandeep kaur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandeep kaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06July2011 at 9:19am
dear ji,
u r absolutely right.it is wrong that many non amritdhari people use the words singh and kaur with their names.
actually its bcoz of the past generations of their families.imagine that as one man is amritdhari then he will definitely use the word singh or kaur with his child's name but and that why the name of child become ------ singh/kaur. n in future no one realizes that whether that child is amritdhari or not.he/she is always singh/kaur.i dont know the solution to this problem but i ve explained you the main problem.

but its extremely true that these type of singhs/kaurs are not accepted by guru ji.it may be a bitter truth for these people

bhul chuk di khima bakhshni ji.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic